Canton will once again focus a spotlight on arts and culture during the 7th annual Canton Acts of Culture Week. This special week, presented by the Canton Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage, will begin on Friday, April 28 and run through Monday, May 8, 2017 at various community locations.
Some of the many goals of Canton's Acts of Culture Week include: showcasing community cultural resources and partnerships; celebrating diverse culture offerings; raising awareness of arts accessibility; instilling an appreciation of local arts organizations; and promoting the arts and heritage in and around the Canton community.
In celebration of the arts, a variety of events will be held, some of which include:
- Kindermusik at Evola Music Center of Canton, located at 7170 N Haggerty Road, presents ‘Cinco De Mayo Family Night’ on Friday, April 28 from 6-7 p.m. Enjoy Fiesta Time including some Mexican-inspired singing, dancing, instrument play, stories, crafts, snacks and more. This free event is perfect for children 6 years of age and under with a caregiver. Please call 734/455-4677 to register. For more information, visit www.capricciomusik.com
- A special Spring Art Exhibition will once again brighten the lobby of the Summit on the Park, located at 46000 Summit Parkway in Canton, from Monday, May 1 starting at 7 p.m. through Sunday, May 7 at 6 p.m. Stop in and view over 40 works of art. These paintings, which are also available for purchase, have been created by the students and instructors of Canton Leisure Services Enrichment Watercolor I, Watercolor II and Oil & Acrylics classes. Exhibit is free & open to the public during normal Summit on the Park business hours. For additional information, call 734/394-5460 or visit www.summitonthepark.org.
- Michigan Philharmonic’s Youth Orchestra’s Spring Concert will be held on Tuesday, May 2 at 7 p.m. at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill, located at 50400 Cherry Hill Road in Canton. Tickets are $15 for adults and seniors and $5 for students. Purchase yours today online at www.michiganphil.org or by phone by contacting the Michigan Philharmonic at 734/451-2112.
- Canton Concert Band presents “Let’s Dance,” on Saturday, May 6 at 7 p.m. at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill. This talented group will take you on a tour of dance styles of the 20th century from the flapper era to disco fever and more! Tickets are just $12 for adults and $10 for seniors and youth. Purchase your tickets online at www.cantonvillagetheater.org or call 734/394-5300.
- "Acts of Fashion Show" is scheduled to take place on Sunday, May 7, at 4 p.m. at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill, located at 50400 Cherry Hill Road. Get your tickets now at www.cantonvillagetheater.org for $17 each. A portion of the proceeds will benefit the WWII Veteran’s Dormitory and The Village Arts Factory. For details, visit www.actsoffashion.com. For additional information on any of the above events, visit www.cantonfun.org.
A complete calendar of the 7th annual Canton Acts of Culture Week events is available at www.cantonfun.org. For more information on this Canton Community celebration, please call 734/394-5360.