February 18, 2015, Canton, MI – Fire officials are reminding residents to be cautious during the extreme cold temperatures this week. Stay indoors if possible. If you go outside, wear weather protective gear, and understand the colder the temperature, the quicker heat is carried away from a person’s body.
Canton is providing a warming station during normal business hours at the Summit on the Park (see below). Individuals in need of this service should check in at the front desk of the Summit, 46000 Summit Parkway, in Canton.
Indoor heating sources should be used in accordance with manufacturer’s recommendations. Poorly operating or damaged heating units can release odorless carbon monoxide gas, therefore use of carbon monoxide (CO) detectors is highly recommended.
“During times of extreme cold, the fire department experiences an increase in both accidental fires and medical emergencies,” said Fire Chief Josh Meier.
“Working a little additional caution into your daily routine can prevent an emergency from occurring. For example, if using a space heater don’t leave it unattended,” Meier adds.
In addition to your personal safety, it is also important to check on elderly or at-risk family, friends, and neighbors who may need additional assistance. Pets should be watched closely and kept indoors, as animals can suffer from hypothermia, frostbite and other cold weather injuries just the same as humans.
Canton’s Fire Prevention Unit is available to answer questions on alternate heating sources and CO detectors. They can be reached at 734/394-5456.
Summit on the Park – Hours of Operation:
Monday – Friday: 5:30 am – 10 pm
Saturday: 6 am – 8 pm
Sunday: 7 am – 8 pm