Canton will once again focus a spotlight on arts and culture during the 8th annual Canton Acts of Culture Week. This special week, presented by the Canton Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage, will begin on Saturday, May 12 and run through Sunday, May 20, 2018, at various community locations.
Some of the many goals of Canton's Acts of Culture Week include: showcasing community cultural resources and partnerships; celebrating diverse cultural offerings; raising awareness of arts accessibility; instilling an appreciation of local arts organizations; and promoting the arts and heritage in and around the Canton community. In celebration of the arts, a variety of events will be held, some of which include:
- May 8: D&M Art Studio will hold a free outdoor painting class on the lawn of the Cherry Hill School, located at 50440 Cherry Hill Road in Canton, MI. Participants must register in advance via email to firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 734/394-5497.
- May 12: Tim Kubart, 2016 Grammy Award Winner for ‘Best Children’s Album’ and host, producer, and writer for Sprout Channel’s ‘Sunny Side Up,’ performs an engaging, interactive set of original songs and stories. It’s a dance party from beginning to end at Canton’s Village Theater at Cherry Hill. Purchase tickets online at www.cantonvillagetheater.org or call 734/394-5300.
- May 14: Summit Spring Art Exhibition will once again brighten the lobby of the Summit on the Park, located at 46000 Summit Parkway in Canton, from Monday, May 7, through Sunday, May 14, at 7 p.m. Stop in and view over 40 works of art. On Sunday, May 14, enjoy a cookie reception from 6-7 p.m. These paintings, which are also available for purchase, have been created by the students and instructors of Canton Leisure Services Enrichment Watercolor I, Watercolor II and Oil & Acrylics classes. This exhibit is free & open to the public during normal Summit on the Park business hours. For additional information, call 734/394-5460 or visit www.summitonthepark.org.
- May 17 – 20: Spotlight Players present ‘Heaven Help Me’ at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill. Watch as the three surviving Holloway brothers are facing a dilemma! Their string of casual eateries are losing money and in order to save the family business, oldest brother Sam wants to sell the only remaining joint property, a valuable waterfront house in Rockaway Beach, N.Y. Purchase tickets online at www.cantonvillagetheater.org or call 734/394-5300.
- May 18: Acts of Fashion 2018, features a fashion-filled event that includes a fashion runway show and shopping experience, showcasing fashions from Metro-Detroit designers and boutiques, while also including special performances by local & national talent! Purchase tickets online at www.cantonvillagetheater.org or call 734/394-5300.
- May 19: Plymouth-Canton Community Schools' tenth annual K-12 Art Show will be held from 11:30 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. at the Plymouth High School cafeteria, 8400 Beck Road, Canton 48187. Stop in to enjoy over 2,000 pieces of student artwork.
- May 20: Art lovers can enjoy a special Coffee & Culture Walking Tour of Canton’s DIA Inside|Out program, featuring reproductions of artworks on loan from The Detroit Institute of Arts (DIA) on display in the Canton’s Village District. This free walking tour will examine a few of the ten high-quality reproductions of masterpieces on display outdoors this spring in Canton. Generously sponsored by Sweetwaters Coffee & Tea.
- May 20: Canton Concert Band presents “Silver Screen Soundtracks,” on Sunday, May 20, at 4 p.m. at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill. This talented group will take you on a special adventure of movie music, featuring songs from the silver screen. You may not remember the movie, but you will always remember the song. Purchase tickets online at www.cantonvillagetheater.org or call 734/394-5300.
The Canton Public Library will also be hosting a variety of storytimes and programs during Canton Acts of Culture. Find the complete calendar of the 8th annual Canton Acts of Culture Week events online at www.cantonfun.org. For more information on this Canton Community celebration, please call 734/394-5360.