Tax Preparation Services
Once again Canton Township will be hosting the American Association of Retired Persons (AARP) TaxAide Program, providing free Federal and State tax preparation for residents of Canton and the surrounding communities. You do not need to be an AARP member to participate, everyone is accepted regardless of age or income. The TaxAide program has a strong non-discrimination policy.
- The program for tax year January 1 through December 31, 2019, will begin: in February through mid-April 2020.
- All returns will be electronically filed.
- The Tax Preparation Services are provided by AARP. Neither Canton Township, the individual tax counselors nor AARP assume liability.
- Tax appointments will be taken beginning: TBA
- Appointments are available: TBA
- Complicated and/or joint return appointments MUST be scheduled for the morning only.
- Please call 734/394-5485 to make your appointment.
- Note: Appointments are ONLY available on Mondays and Tuesdays.
What should I bring to my Tax Appointment?
- Social security card for everyone listed on your return.
- Photo ID Required for everyone listed on your return.
- A social security statement showing your 2019 earnings or a military ID with your social security number are acceptable substitutes.
- Your local property tax bill (Summer and Winter bills). Without the tax bill the program cannot complete the State return for the tax rebate.
- Proof of medical insurance (if applicable); Including Form 1095-A (if applicable)
- Any tax documents you have received during 2019. Take a look at last year's return, you should have the same documents this year unless there is a change in your status.
- If you are receiving a pension based on a deceased taxpayer's pension the program needs the deceased taxpayer's name, birth date and social security number.
- Any other document you have received in the mail labeled "Tax Information/Related"
- Last year's return (Copy)
Appointment Schedule Reminders
- Please show up 30 minutes prior to your scheduled appointment time. There will be required forms that must be filled out before you see the preparer.
- Missed Appointments: We do not reschedule missed appointments except for emergencies. Scheduled medical appointments are not considered an emergency.
- Both tax payers must to present to sign the tax return, if it is a joint return.
- Appointments are 1 hour in length. If a return takes longer than an hour, a second appointment may be booked.
- Appointments will be held in the Chestnut Room, located down the hall in the Banquet Area
- Call 734/394-5485 to schedule your appointment beginning Tuesday, January 7, 2020.