Zoning Board of Appeals
- Meetings are held the 2nd Thursday of each month at 7 p.m. unless otherwise posted.
- Canton Administration Building
1150 S. Canton Center Road
Canton, MI 48188
Agendas & Minutes
Agendas are available prior to the meetings. Minutes are available following approval.
Members are appointed by the township supervisor and confirmed by the Canton Board or Trustees for a term of 3 years. In addition, one member of the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) also serves as a member of the Planning Commission.
The ZBA is an appointed board that hears variances to zoning ordinance provisions and appeals of interpretations of the community planner and building official. The evaluations of variance requests are based on specific criteria set forth in the zoning ordinance and the State of Michigan Zoning Enabling Act.
The ZBA acts as a quasi-judicial body and is required to follow accepted procedures and fairly evaluate all relevant facts in each case that comes before it. The board is supported by an administrative staff that receives and reviews applications. The Building and Inspection Services staff are responsible for sending out notification of pending appeals to interested parties. The ZBA also works closely with Planning Services and Building and Inspection Services to gather information that is useful and relevant to the outcome of an appeal.
Meeting Participation Code of Courtesy
The board respects the rights of citizens to participate in the legislative process, and asks that everyone adhere to the following code of courtesy:
- Begin your comments by stating your name and address for the record.
- All public comments should provide a point of view, gain information, share a criticism, or express a concern.
- Be considerate of others who wish to speak by limiting your comments to a reasonable length.