Become a Canton Firefighter/Paramedic
About Canton Fire Department
The Canton Fire Department is a full-time fire department currently budgeted for 74 sworn Firefighter/Paramedics, with plans to increase staffing over the next several years. Canton is a community-oriented agency, providing professional fire and Advanced Life Support EMS services.
Core Purpose / Core Values
As an organization, the Canton Fire Department exists to serve the residents, businesses and visitors of Canton by providing professional all-hazards incident response including emergency medical services, fire prevention, public education and code enforcement.
Core Values: Professionalism, Excellence, Teamwork, Integrity, Courage
Canton Firefighter/Paramedics earn a competitive 2023 salary, ranging from $52,716 (starting rate) up to $87,375 (after five years).
Canton Firefighter/Paramedics also receive a hybrid MERS pension plan, healthcare, dental, optical and life insurance.
Canton Firefighter/Paramedics are encouraged to continue their education and leadership development with a bargaining unit agreement of up to $800 annual tuition for coursework toward a Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree, as well as paid leadership coursework.
- Up to 432 hours of paid time off per year
- Six Kelley days
- 14 paid holidays
- Food allowance
- Longevity pay
- Employee health and wellness program
- Fitness facilities at all station
- Sick time
- Short and long term disability
- 24 hour shifts, 53.1 hour work week
- Summit on the Park membership
- Discounted rates at Pheasant Run Golf Club
Canton Firefighter/Paramedics enjoy the benefit of working with the latest in product technology, including electronic reporting, new apparatus, new monitors and new SCBA’s, automated station alerting and computerized mapping. Firefighter/Medics are also privileged with access to the most advanced training including the Blue Card Incident Command System.
The Canton Fire Department has three fully-staffed stations, operational 24/7. Canton Public Safety’s Headquarters Building is a 33,000 square foot facility that houses Fire Administration, Fire Prevention, Records Bureau, and a premier 911 Communications Center.
Special Units Available To Firefighter/Medics
- Western Wayne Hazardous Material Response Team
- Honor Guard
- Peer Support
- CPR Instructors
- Community Engagement
- Bike Medic Unit
- Michigan Urban Search & Rescue
- Special Operations Team Medics
Canton is a 36-square mile Charter Township, located halfway between Ann Arbor and Detroit. Canton features convenient access to all major freeways including I-275, I-94, I-96, and I-696, and is just 15 minutes from Detroit Metro Airport.
Canton is a dynamic and diverse community with over 93,000 residents who enjoy a variety of dining, fitness, retail, commercial, and religious facilities.
Canton's vibrant Downtown Development Authority District located along Ford Road features over 300 retail commercial and medical facilities. The community continues to grow with popular new establishments opening on a regular basis.
Canton promotes individual's wellness with a 95,000 square foot community recreation facility, the Summit on the Park. The community also consists of nine beautiful community parks, including a dog park, access to multiple trail systems, two golf courses, as well as multiple commercial fitness facilities.
Canton's housing market consists of a variety of apartments, condominiums and single-family homes spanning across all price ranges.
Canton prides itself as being a diverse community, with individuals and families from multiple cultures making Canton their home. Canton has numerous Commissions for culture, arts & heritage to guide the growing community into a rich, inclusive community for all.
Canton has a variety of top-quality schooling options, and houses Michigan's only multiple high school campus, Plymouth-Canton Educational Park. The campus consists of three high schools and boasts a daytime population of 6,000 students and staff.
SEMCOG Community Profile
- Graduation from an accredited high school or its equivalent; with an Associate Degree in Fire Science preferred; or any combination of experience and training which will provide the desired knowledge, abilities, and skills
- Certification from the State of Michigan Firefighters Training Council as a Firefighter II (120-hr course); or FFII certification from an IFSAC or Pro Board accredited academy deemed reciprocal by the State of Michigan at time of application.
- Possession of a current, valid Paramedic certification from the State of Michigan at time of final job offer.
- Applicants that have completed a recognized Paramedic Program and who are eligible to take the National Registry are eligible to apply. Must successfully pass National Registry within 45 days of contingent job offer.
- Certification in Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) prior to hire
- Successful completion of the Conference of Western Wayne (CWW) Written within past three years. Must be current at time of selection questionnaire.
- Successful completion of the Conference of Western Wayne (CWW) Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) within the past year. Must be current at time of selection questionnaire.
- Must possess a current, valid Driver's License with a driving history that does not create liability concerns; i.e. convictions of reckless driving, careless driving, suspended license, or convictions involving drinking and impaired driving.
Selection And Hiring Process Includes:
- Employment Application
- Applications are accepted during open posting periods
- Completed applications must be received by the posted deadline
- Inaccurate or incomplete information will result in removal from selection process
- View Canton's current job postings
- CWW Testing
- Successful completion of the Conference of Western Wayne (CWW) Written within past three years. Must be current as outlined in the job posting.
- Successful completion of the Conference of Western Wayne (CWW) Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) within the past year. Must be current as outlined in the job posting.
- Selection Questionnaire
- Applicants will be sent a selection questionnaire to assist in the screening process.
- The questionnaire will be screened similar to a first-round interview.
- Oral Board
- It is a competitive hiring practice. A limited number of candidates will be selected and scheduled to interview based on the qualifications and experiences listed on the employment application, job questions, required certifications and the quality and professionalism of the selection questionnaire.
- Eligibility List
- Candidates that successfully complete the Oral Board will be placed on an eligibility list
- The eligibility list is valid for 12 months, or until it is exhausted
- The eligibility list will be used to fill all vacancies that arise within the 12 month period
- Contingent Job Offer
- Public Safety Comprehensive Background Check
- Psychological Evaluation
- Pre-employment Physical and Drug Screen
- Human Resources New Hire Orientation
- Department Orientation and Training
- Completion of One Year Probationary Period
Canton Township reserves the right to extend immediate contingent offers throughout the process when there are multiple openings. Refer to job posting for more detail.
The community's 36 square mile service area is divided into 3 separate response districts with each fire station having primary and secondary coverage areas. Each response district is set by carefully analyzing response data to ensure for a safe and quick response of fire department resources. The Canton Fire Department will be adding a fourth fire station, in the near future, located at the south west corner of Michigan Avenue and Lilley Road.
Station 1, fire headquarters
1100 S. Canton Center Road, Canton, MI 48188
Coverage Area: 15.75 square miles
Canton Fire Station #1 was opened in 1998 to replace the original fire station that was located on the corner of Cherry Hill Rd. and Canton Center Rd. Station #1 can accommodate up to 12 firefighters and currently houses the following apparatus.
- Engine 1
- Truck 1 (100' Platform)
- Rescue 1
- Tanker 1
- Squad 1 (ALS Ambulance)
- Squad 12 (ALS Ambulance)
- Battalion Chief
- Mobile Command Post
41500 Warren Road, Canton, MI 48187
Coverage Area: 8.61 square miles
Canton Fire Station #2 was opened in 2021, to replace the original fire station that was located on the lot to the west of the current location. The original building was constructed to provide better fire and EMS coverage to the north end of the community. Fire Station #2 can house up to six firefighters and currently houses the following apparatus.
- Engine 2
- Truck 2 (75' Quint)
- Squad 2 (ALS Ambulance)
- Squad 22 (ALS Ambulance)
520 N. Denton Road, Canton, MI 48187
Coverage Area: 12.29 square miles
Canton Fire Station #3 opened in 2005 to provide additional fire and EMS coverage to the west end of the community. Fire Station #3 can accommodate up to six firefighters and houses the following apparatus.
- Engine 3
- Squad 3 (ALS Ambulance)