Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage
Commission OverviewThe Commission for Culture, Arts, and Heritage serves as advocates in promoting public awareness of culture, arts, and heritage in the greater Canton community. This commission's members are a very dedicated group of volunteers who are striving to encourage high quality programs for the culture, arts, and heritage that are accessible to all. Programs include, but are not limited to, visual arts, drama, music, dance, historical heritage, and humanities.
Through the implementation of its Strategic Plan, adopted in 2004, this commission has established numerous active sub-committees to sponsor various community projects, which embrace all aspects of culture, arts, and heritage. Canton has a rich history that we are careful to preserve and obligated to honor. In Canton, we look to where we came from to help shape the community we know today, and to guide our growing community into the future.
For more information, please email the Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage.
- Held quarterly at 7 pm
- Administration Building, lower level
- Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage Meeting Schedule
- Cecilia Escobar, Chairperson
- Bill Tesen, First Vice Chairperson
- Ken Bhuva, Vice Chairperson
- Susan Schwandt, Immediate Past Chairperson
- Jill Engel, Partnership for Arts & Humanities Representative
- Thomas Paden, Chamber of Commerce Representative
- Patrick Williams, Township Board Representative
- Anthony Davis
- Sharon Dillenbeck
- Sue Dodson
- Darian Moore
- Samar Sakakini
- Herb Scott
- Kira Macyda
- Nikita Pandya
24th Canton Fine Arts Exhibition 2016
Entries Due: August 15, 2016
The Canton Commission for Arts, Culture and Heritage is proud to present the 24th Annual Canton Fine Arts Exhibition to promote art created by Michigan artists. Chosen artists' work will be displayed to the public October 2016 at The Village Theater at Cherry Hill.
Artist Reception: September 29, 2016
Exhibit Dates: 9/30/16-10/29/16
The goals of this exhibit include bringing quality art to our community and providing highly talented artists with opportunities to present their work in Canton.
Entries must be received by 2 p.m. on August 15, 2016 to be considered. Participation is open to all artists 18 years and older, living or working in Michigan.
2016 Canton Fine Arts Exhibition Entry Form
For additional information visit our website or call 734/394-5300.
Celebrate the 7th Annual Canton Acts of Culture Week
Save the Date:April 29 - May 7, 2017
Each year during the first week in May, the Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage hosts, "Acts of Culture Week" to raise awareness and showcase unique facets of the arts. Community organizations and area businesses are encouraged to participate in the week-long celebration throughout Canton to showcase our cultural resources and partnerships, celebrate our diverse cultures, and promote local arts. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Come experience the vast talent that our community has to offer!
- Canton Historical Society's History of Culture Exhibit
- Michigan Opera Theatre Children's Opera
- D & M Art Exhibition and Opening Champagne & Desserts Reception
- The Michigan Philharmonic’s Youth Orchestra's performance Spring Concert
- Cinco de Mayo Kindermusik Playdate Evola Music Center
- Annual Mother/Son Dance Canton Leisure Services
- Free Drawing Classes for Veterans D & M Art Studio
- Plymouth Community Arts Council Art Workshops & Fine Art Exhibit
- Interfaith Community Outreach's "Lunch, Laugh, and Learn Geneva Presbyterian Church
- Acts of Fashion Show Village Theater at Cherry Hill
For additional information on this Canton Community celebration, please call 734/394-5360 or by email.
2016 International Fest: Commission for Arts, Culture & Heritage
Each year during Canton's Annual Liberty Fest, performers and groups take the stage to showcase the many cultures of the Canton area. The festival takes place the Saturday prior to Father's Day in June.
As part of Canton's International Festival celebration on June 18, 2016, guests were invited to enter a drawing for one of two gift baskets generously donated by members of Canton's Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage. Both baskets included restaurant and business gift certificates, tote bags, water bottles, books, tickets to Leisure Services' events and many other prizes. This year's winners were Ella Zhang and Jamie Stathopoulos.
Join us next year for the 26th Anniversary of Liberty Fest on June 15-17, 2017.