Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage
The Commission for Culture, Arts, and Heritage serves as advocates in promoting public awareness of culture, arts, and heritage in the greater Canton community. This commission's members are a very dedicated group of volunteers who are striving to encourage high quality programs for the culture, arts, and heritage that are accessible to all. Programs include, but are not limited to, visual arts, drama, music, dance, historical heritage, and humanities.
Through the implementation of its Strategic Plan, adopted in 2004, this commission has established numerous active sub-committees to sponsor various community projects, which embrace all aspects of culture, arts, and heritage. Canton has a rich history that we are careful to preserve and obligated to honor. In Canton, we look to where we came from to help shape the community we know today, and to guide our growing community into the future.
For more information, please email the Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage.
- Held quarterly at 7 pm
- Administration Building, lower level
- Commission for Culture, Arts and Heritage Meeting Schedule (PDF)
- Bill Tesen – Chair (Canton Historical Society rep)
- Ken Bhuva - 1st Vice Chair
- Darian Moore - Vice Chair
- Cecilia Escobar - Immediate Past Chair
- Jill Engel (Partnership for the Arts & Humanities rep)
- Sommer Foster (Township Board rep)
- Thomas Paden (Canton Chamber of Commerce rep)
- Anthony Davis
- Sharon Dillenbeck
- Sue Dodson
- Kira Macyda
- Nikita Pandya
- Samar Sakakini
- Susan Schwandt
- Herb Scott
Canton Township Staff
Celebrate the 7th Annual Canton Acts of Culture Week
Click here (PDF) for a complete schedule of 2017 Events.
Each year during the first week in May, the Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage hosts, "Acts of Culture Week" to raise awareness and showcase unique facets of the arts. Community organizations and area businesses are encouraged to participate in the week-long celebration throughout Canton to showcase our cultural resources and partnerships, celebrate our diverse cultures, and promote local arts. There is something for everyone to enjoy. Come experience the vast talent that our community has to offer!
Featured events, from year's past have included:
- Canton Historical Society's History of Culture Exhibit
- Michigan Opera Theatre Children's Opera
- D & M Art Exhibition and Opening Champagne & Desserts Reception
- The Michigan Philharmonic’s Youth Orchestra's performance Spring Concert
- Cinco de Mayo Kindermusik Playdate Evola Music Center
- Annual Mother/Son Dance Canton Leisure Services
- Free Drawing Classes for Veterans D & M Art Studio
- Plymouth Community Arts Council Art Workshops & Fine Art Exhibit
- Interfaith Community Outreach's "Lunch, Laugh, and Learn Geneva Presbyterian Church
- Acts of Fashion Show Village Theater at Cherry Hill
2017 International Fest: Commission for Arts, Culture & Heritage
Each year during Canton's Annual Liberty Fest, performers and groups take the stage to showcase the many cultures of the Canton area. The festival takes place the Saturday prior to Father's Day in June.
As part of Canton's International Festival celebration on June 17, 2017, guests are invited to enter a drawing for a gift basket generously donated by members of Canton's Commission for Culture, Arts & Heritage.
Join us for an opportunity to travel the globe through song and dance from around the world when International Festival performers will appear on the Canton LIVE! Stage on Saturday, June 17, 2017, from 11:30 am to 6 pm. Bring the whole family!